Mike Eckstein, of Batesville, got a buck on the first day of firearms season Saturday.The most popular phase of Indiana deer hunting kicked off this weekend with firearms season, and it serves as a reminder to hunters: Follow the rules, practice ethical hunting behavior, and have an enjoyable, safe time in the woods.It’s estimated that at least a quarter-million Hoosiers participate in firearms season, which runs through Dec. 1.Hunters are required to have a valid deer license unless otherwise exempt.Deer licenses can be purchased at Indiana Outdoor website, at DNR-managed properties, and several local retailers.A deer firearms license costs $24 for Indiana residents, $150 for non-residents.A firearms license allows a hunter to take one antlered deer with a legal firearm. A bonus antlerless license is needed to take antlerless deer during firearms season. Bonus antlerless county quotas are set for each of Indiana’s 92 counties.Good luck to are hunters on a safe firearms season! Remember to submit your trophy pictures here to have a shot at a $100 prize through a contest sponsored by Hooker Deer Drag of Sunman.
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian forward Neymar will miss this summer’s Copa America after suffering an ankle injury in Brazil’s 2-0 friendly win over Qatar.On Wednesday night, Neymar limped off the pitch in the 22nd minute of the match at the Mane Garrincha stadium after appearing to injure his right ankle in a tackle. The 27-year-old was later seen in distress while being evaluated by medical staff on the Brazil bench.In a statement released on Thursday morning, Brazil’s football governing body said that Neymar had ruptured a ligament in his ankle and would not recover in time to play in the Copa America.The 2019 Copa America will be held in Brazil from June 14 to July 7. The host nation have been drawn in Group A alongside Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela. IANS Also Read: SPORTS NEWS
– Bright and Williams cosidered for SA Youth ChampionshipsBy Tamica GarnettPRESIDENT of the Guyana Athletic Association of Guyana (AAG), Aubrey Hudson, says that the Association is still looking over the idea of whether or not to send athletes to the South American Under-23 Championships set to begin in Lima, Peru,this coming Friday, while Chantoba Bright and Daniel Williams are being considered for the South American Youth Championships in November.According to Hudson, the Association has been considering overseas-based Guyanese Arinze Chance, who is currently in Trinidad, studying at the University of Trinidad and Tobago for a diploma in Petroleum Engineering. Earlier,Hudson had noted that there was also consideration for another athlete, but that athlete was not named.“For The South American Under-23,the person that we were really thinking about was Arinze Chance; we were to look back at his times and compare it to what is going on in South America.However,there is another under-23 athlete(that) we were thinking about.” Hudson had said at the beginning of the month.A sprinter, Chance is known for his performances in the 200m and 400m, and earlier this year, in another section of the media, had voiced his hopes of being selected for the Under-23 Championships. Chance had noted that he wasn’t sure of the criteria for selection for the event, since none had been identified.Speaking with Chronicle Sport, Hudson clarified that with the selection of the Under-23 Championships,the Association is looking at the athletes’ performance for the the year thus far, assessing the timings produced, and comparing it with what is the usual standard at the South American event.“What we will look at is what they did at the last National Seniors or what they would have done in the year so far,and compare it with what is happening in South America, see how far off they are and see if it’s a worthy competition to send them to,where they will get medals, gain experience.Or do we just say, look, let us try to work with them and see if we can prepare them for next year’s World Championships.” Hudson added.“The thing about it is we have to look at results and see if it’s worthy of sending anybody; that’s the key area. We don’t want to expend too much funding on it when funding is limited;we prefer to spend it on an area that may be more productive, that’s why we’re looking at results of the last three South American Under-23(championships) and come up with the athletes that are going, if they’re at that caliber to make sense to send them as against sending another athlete to the South American Youth(championships).” He further explained.The South American Youth Championships is an event that caters to Under- 18 athletes. Bright was named for the event since earlier this year,when plans for her to attend the IAAF World U-20 Championships fell through. Bright specializes in the triple and long jumps, while Williams is a sprinter who favours the 200m and 400m distances.
The defending champions, First Bank of Lagos, remain unbeaten in the current campaign from the Atlantic Conference and they led the four teams from Ibadan. Other are MFM, Dolphins and Asaba-based Delta Force.In the Savannah Conference played in Abuja, Air Warriors stayed true to their name as they defeated all seven oppositions to qualify for the National Finals on a high while Customs finished second.Zenith Bank sponsored league debutants, Blackgold Queens, and Plateau Rocks will also be in Lagos for the finals.The Group Managing Director of Zenith Bank, Ebenezer Onyeagwu, has congratulated all the qualifiers for the final phase.Onyeagwu said: “All those in Lagos for the finals are winners because other who fell in earlier stages would have loved to be in the final.“As sponsors in the past 15 years, we will continue to provide the enabling environment through the league to boost women’s basketball in the country. “We are happy that D’Tigress have won the Afrobasket back-to-back with some of those who featured in this competition and we expect more players to enter the national team through this league.” The two finalists of the Final 8 will qualify for the 2019 FIBA Africa Zone 3 Champions Cup qualifiers to be hosted in Cotonou, Benin Republic later this month.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Final 8 of the 2019 Zenith Bank Women Basketball League is scheduled to start friday at the Indoor Sports Hall of the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.This is the fourth stage of the women basketball league which is wearing a new look this year with a fresh format introduced by the Musa Kida –led board of the Nigeria Basketball Federation.Four centres- Abuja, Zaria, Ibadan and Akure hosted the first two phases with 27 teams on parade while Ibadan and Abuja hosted the third phase which was the Atlantic and savannah conference centres. Eight teams were in each of the conferences and the best four in each of the conferences made it to the final.
Published on November 1, 2013 at 12:42 am Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Ryan Nassib completed 13-of-15 passes after halftime, Antwon Bailey broke out and Van Chew made two monumental catches. A Syracuse offense that managed just seven first-half points exploded to erase a 15-point, fourth-quarter deficit to earn a season-opening victory.“We were looking for that explosiveness from them right off the get-go, but hey, better late than never,” Syracuse defensive end Mikhail Marinovich told The Daily Orange after the game.The Orange (1-0, 0-0 Big East) offense rebounded to pull off the program’s largest comeback since 2003, shocking the Demon Deacons (0-1, 0-0 Atlantic Coast) 36-29 in overtime in front of 40,833. After Syracuse scored the final 15 points of regulation in a 3:55 span, Nassib connected with Chew for a 4-yard score in the first possession of overtime to complete the rally.“That’s one of the best wins since I’ve been in Syracuse,” Bailey said at the time. “To do it in the fashion we did it, to come from so many points down and then to do it in the Dome, it doesn’t get any better than that.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAn SU offense that managed just five total yards in the first quarter and entered halftime with more penalty yards — 56 — than total offense — 52 — made a remarkable turnaround.Jimmy Newman’s 40-yard field goal with 11:02 remaining in the fourth quarter gave Wake Forest a 29-14 lead.Then Nassib, who started the game 1-for-5, caught fire. A 21-yard hookup with Alec Lemon. Twenty-four yards to Chew moments later. By the time Nassib hit fullback Adam Harris for a 2-yard score, he was 5-for-5 on the drive. 29-21.“We got it within eight, and I felt like that was a big turning point for the team,” Harris told The Daily Orange after the game. “Everybody started getting a little excitement. The stadium felt alive again.”Then it was Bailey’s turn. The running back, who logged 11 yards on seven first-half carries, exploded down the left sideline for a 53-yard touchdown run to make it 29-27. He would finish with 114 rushing yards and two touchdowns.But the next play was made by Chew — a diving grab falling out of the back right corner of the end zone. Chew dragged his left hip along the Carrier Dome turf after hauling in Nassib’s pass.“We like teams that pressure us because now you can get the big play,” SU head coach Doug Marrone told The Daily Orange. “We were able to make some big plays. I’m disappointed we couldn’t make them earlier.”And finally, Nassib went back to Chew for the finale. Chew absorbed a hit from Wake Forest strong safety Cyhl Quarles on a first-down play before snagging a 16-yard deep comeback, which put the Orange inside the Demon Deacons’ 10.Two plays later, Nassib drifted backward, away from pressure, before lofting a pass to Chew in the front left corner of the end zone.Chew moved forward, received the pass and rolled onto the Dome turf.“I saw the ball in the air and I was like, ‘I have to get it. We have to score,’” Chew said to The Daily Orange. “So I just went after it.”Wake Forest turned the ball over on downs on its rebuttal possession. Syracuse’s comeback was complete.“It was probably the best game I ever played in my life and been in,” Chew said.—Compiled by Stephen Bailey, asst. sports editor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer is finally over and the Wisconsin Badgers are back.Back like their dominant 13-1 2017 season? Maybe not completely. But after a disappointing 8-5 season during which they barely managed a winning record against Big Ten opponents, Head Coach Paul Chryst’s team is taking strides back toward 2017 form.Lost in disappointing year for Badger football, Jonathan Taylor ready to finish historic seasonIf I told you before the season began that Jonathan Taylor would be entering the Badgers’ bowl game with 1,989 Read…That team was built on a stingy defense, a strong offensive line and a game manager at quarterback handing the ball off to Jonathan Taylor 25 times a game.The difference between the team’s success in 2017 and the lack thereof in 2018? The stingy defense.Defensive Coordinator Jim Leonhard’s 2017 defense ranked third in the nation with only 13.9 points allowed per game, and the team as a whole paced the country with an SRS score — a statistic which takes into account point differential and strength of schedule — of 22.61.The 2018 defense? They finished the year 34th in the country with 22.6 points allowed per game, 100 more points allowed in total than the 2017 team and an SRS of 7.67, good for just 30th in the nation.This decrease in defensive production not only affected the Badgers statistically, but also significantly lowered their ability to close games. While part of 2018’s 8-5 record can be attributed to the injury of Alex Hornibrook and a weakened receiver core, the loss of a stalwart defensive played an extremely large role in exacerbating the existing problems on offense.Much of the dropoff can be attributed to Chryst and Leonhard saying goodbye to seven defensive starters, most notably leaders of the unit Leon Jacobs, Nick Nelson, Alec James and Natrell Jamerson. And while the linebacking core of T.J. Edwards and Ryan Connelly — the team’s two leading tacklers — returned for 2018, the cast of new faces on the defensive line and in the secondary hurt Leonhard’s unit immensely.Football: Four former Badgers selected in 2019 NFL DraftThe NFL Draft has come and gone, and several former Badgers are now employed to play at the next level. Read…Specifically, Leonhard’s secondary in 2017 only allowed a 48.6 percent completion percentage to opposing quarterbacks, a number which jumped up to 58 percent with his young secondary in 2018.His 2017 defensive line only allowed 98.4 rush yards per game, .5 touchdowns per game and a yards-per-carry average of 3.2. His new-look 2018 line conceded a whopping 155.1 rush yards per game, 1.3 rushing touchdowns per game and a yards-per-carry clip of 4.4.In total, Leonhard’s 2017 defense gave up 262 yards per game. In 2018 that number was 344.Now with the 2019 season underway, Leonhard returns the majority of the secondary and defensive line. And though he and Chryst lost defensive leaders Connelly and Edwards to the NFL, Chris Orr returns to lead the defense and will line up behind a vastly improved defensive line that is headlined by senior Zack Baun and junior Isaiahh Loudermilk.This formula, a strong and athletic defensive line paired with tough, veteran linebackers, is what brought Chryst’s 2017 team one drive away from the College Football Playoff and is what will determine whether the 2019 defense can return to that dominant form.Friday night against South Florida, all signs pointed towards the return of Wisconsin’s defense as we know it.From the first drive of the game the defense’s experience, talent and improvement were apparent, and the unit shut out USF Head Coach Charlie Strong’s explosive offense. The final score, 49–0, didn’t even tell the whole story on how dominant the defense was.South Florida’s final statistics: nine total first downs, three of 16 on third and fourth downs, 157 total yards, 26 rushing yards and three turnovers including one returned for a touchdown.The last time Wisconsin allowed fewer than 30 rushing yards in a game was Sept. 30, 2017 against Northwestern. It was also 2017 when the Badgers last shut out an opponent.On top of an already-impressive game defending against South Florida’s rushing attack, the Badgers also managed to largely shut down veteran senior QB Blake Barnett. The defense held him to just 131 yards passing for the entire night and managed to also force two interceptions.This impressive performance points toward signs of a revamped secondary that barely weathered a storm of injuries and lack of experience last season.Football: To fuel 2019 season, Badger secondary looking for consistencyAfter last week’s dive into the units of defensive backs and linebackers, this week the focus is on Coach Paul Read…If it hasn’t been made apparent already, Friday night’s game bled shades of 2017 and is pointing toward a great season in Madison.If Orr, Sanborn and the defensive line can continue to control the run game and pressure opposing QB like they did on Friday and like the 2017 unit was able to do, expect the defense to build upon its impressive week one showing and bring the Badgers to the Big Ten Championship game in Indianapolis.Tough tests certainly remain for the Badgers throughout the season, including multiple high-powered threats such as The Ohio State University offense and Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez.It remains to be seen whether or not the Badgers defense will be able to hold up to its performance against South Florida. More importantly, it remains to be seen whether or not they can live up to the defense expectations set by their highly impressive 2017 season.If they don’t, and teams like Northwestern, Minnesota and Michigan are able to run the ball like they did last season against Chryst’s team, expect another subpar year and more never-ending Graham Mertz talk as the 2020 season approaches.
“Ndidi is no doubt an exceptional talent. He is rated as one of the best midfielders in the English Premier League, so I’m not surprised he has been earning a lot of rave reviews.“But I believe he has to work more on his final passes if he is to be considered one of the best players on the planet,” the former Ajax star noted.Babangida further revealed that the Eagles’ midfielder reminds him of the likes of Sunday Oliseh, Frank Rijkaard and Patrick Vieira.“Ndidi reminds me of the likes of Vieira, Oliseh and Rijkaard in terms of defensive qualities but these players were able to excel on all fronts because of their attacking abilities and Ndidi must work on that too,” Babangida concluded.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Former Super Eagles wing player, Tijani Babangida, has praised the consistent rise of Leicester City’s midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi, cautioning however that the youngster must improve on his final passes if he is to reckoned among the greatest midfielders.Tijani, who spoke to AOIFootball.com, believes the player will play a key role for Nigeria at the World Cup in Russia next year.
Despite being rivals in the AFC for the better part of two decades, it appears to be nothing but love between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.The Patriots quarterback posted a selfie of the pair Wednesday with a caption that may surprise most New England fans. Brady and Manning faced off 17 times from Brady’ starting debut in 2001 to Manning’s retirement in 2015. Brady has come out on top 11 of those 17 times.However, Manning’s two Super Bowl wins with the Colts and Broncos, respectively, came at the expense of the Patriots in the AFC Championship. View this post on Instagram Patriots’ Sony Michel running at ‘full tilt’ after knee surgery, report says Spoiler alert… we were friends this whole time. Always great to see you Peyton!A post shared by Tom Brady (@tombrady) on Jun 26, 2019 at 9:09am PDT”Spoiler alert… we were friends this whole time. Always great to see you Peyton!” Brady posted. The Brady vs. Manning quarterback rivalry has long been noted, with the Patriots and the Colts becoming huge rivals in the 2000s due to the talent of both quarterbacks. Related News NFL news and notes: Patriots’ Tom Brady has a new workout partner; Jets’ Sam Darnold details ‘rookie wall’
BiH judokas, Amel Mekić and Larisa Cerić won the medals at the Mediterranean Games which are being held in Mersin, Turkey, reports sportsport.baMekić won silver medal in the category up to 100 kg, and Cerić won the bronze in the category up to 78 kg.Mekić defeated in semi-finals Tunisian judoka Anis Ben Khalid while in the finals he lost to Ramadan Darwish while Cerić defeated Algerian judoka Sonia Asselah.BiH boxer Džemal Bošnjak has qualified to semi-finals and thus secured yet another medal to BIH.The semi-final match will be played on 25 June and the possible final on 26 June.
(Source: Fena/photo Oslobodjenje) According to the decision of professional staff of Željezničar Football Club, the new captain in the next season will be Srđan Stanić.Stanić will take the captain band from Muamer Svraka, who led the “Blue” in the last season.Currently, Stanić played the most number of times in the club. He wore a blue jersey 186 times, and 9 times he was a shooter.