– Works CoordinatorThe Government has come under criticism by commuters for what has been described as an “insensitive move” to have several road projects on the East Coast of Demerara undertaken at once, but Coordinator of Works, Geoffrey Vaughn, has related the importance of these projects and reported that construction of the Good Hope Bridge is soon to be completed.In an interview on Thursday, Vaughn explained that the project is nearing its completion, and the bridge is expected to be operational by the end of April or the first week in May.He told Guyana Times he had indeed heard several nasty comments about theWorks being carried out on the Good Hope Bridgeproject, since it affects the free flow of traffic.According to him, “We have created access which people can use, which is access to the other road. There is nothing else we can do at this time but ensure we have proper traffic management, which is being done…”In relation to the progress of work on the bridge, Vaughn said most of the work is completed.“Right now, they are putting in some of the other aspects of the bridge, which (are) the columns and the beams and so on. Right now, we are hoping that we have GPL (Guyana Power and Light) to do some removal of some wires that (are) within the areas (where the crane is operating). Once those get removed, we should be able to start moving at a faster pace.”This newspaper had received complaints from several commuters, who expressed grave dissatisfaction in regard to the project, mainly since it has an adverse effect on the traffic, especially during peak hours.Rehabilitation of the Good Hope Bridge started last week, and is being undertaken by BK International. Some $23.5 million is reportedly being expended on this project.The project includes demolition of the old Acrow Panel structure and reconstruction of a concrete one.Vaughn thus noted: “When we change from the Acrow Panel bridges to the free stress concrete bridges, there is no disruption to traffic, no maintenance issues, and everything flows smoothly. We don’t expect to have any problems with the bridge in the near future”.It was also explained that the Good Hope Bridge, along with the Annandale and Lusignan bridges, should have been rehabilitated since last year, but there were challenges with regard to the traffic.“We thought it best not to run all three bridges at the same time, because of traffic issues with the construction of the other two; but because they were in an area where there were more access points to leave and enter the railway embankment, the traffic burden wasn’t felt much by the driving public. But because of the location of this bridge, there seems to be a greater impact on traffic,” Vaughn added.
Shawn’s Mini Mart of Anna Regina, Essequibo Coast honoured mothers of the Amerindian community of Mashabo on Mother’s Day. Despite the inclement weather condition, the trip to the Amerindian Community of Mashabo, which sits on the banks of the Ituribisi Conservancy, was a well-deserved one, the businessman, said.The mothers of Mashabo Village who were honoured on Sunday pose for a picture during the eventGifts in the form of clothing, footwear, food and drinks were donated to about 125 mothers. According to the businessman, the activity is an annual event to pay tribute to his own mother, and he will continue to give to mothers.In response to the donation, Mashabo Toshao Sylvin Raphael said he is very thankful to the businessman and family for choosing his community, Mashabo, and to bring joy to the hearts of the many mothers, because most families cannot afford a gift, and the gesture has brought joy to the community.
…neighbours scaled man’s fence to rescue teen – police sourceBy Kristen MacklingamA 12-year-old girl was rescued by public-spirited citizens after she was allegedly sexually molested by an 80-year-old man, whom neighbours described as a sexual predator.Reports reaching this newspaper are that the man reportedly lured the girl into his vehicle and drove to his home. This publication understands that the child in her statement to Police said that before exiting the vehicle, the man ran his hands along her body and inserted his fingers into her vagina. However, at that time, neighbours noticed the girl’s figure inside of his car and called out to him, inquiring as to whether there was a child with him.Guyana Times understands that the man vehemently denied that there was anyone inside of his vehicle but one neighbour took matters into his own hands and jumped over the fence into the man’s yard.The neighbour then approached the car and confirmed that the young female was inside the vehicle. An alarm was then raised and other neighbours rushed to the man’s house and notified the police.The man was immediately arrested and the 12-year-old taken into police custody while childcare protection officers were summoned to provide the necessary care for the child. Residents told Police that they acted in such a manner because the man is a known sexual perpetrator. However, a police source revealed that the pensioner was released on station bail after the mandatory 72-hour holding period for a suspect had expired and investigations had not been concluded.According to a senior police source, the lengthiness of the process of the child giving her statement coupled with the process of her giving statements to the child protection authorities and then to the police caused the legal timeframe for holding the man to pass.As such, he was placed on station bail and the file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice on the way forward.This publication was also told that the alleged child molester usually preys on children who belong to very poor families and then doles out cash to them or their families to prevent Police reports.“The guy is apparently in the habit of reaching out to these poor people’s children and when he finished having sex with them he would give the parents or relatives money to hush up …but this 12-year-old is receiving care from the child authorities and I was told that somebody, a relative, went with the girl and was saying some nonsense in relation to dropping the matter. But we cannot do that, if anyone tries to object or stop the matter, we will lock them up too,” a senior police source told this publication on Monday.
0Shares0000Harambee Stars defender David Owino tries to go past Tanzania’s Paulo Godfrey during their African Nations Championship qualifier at Kasarani Stadium on August 4, 2019. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 4 – Harambee Stars have missed out on yet another opportunity to play in the African Nations Championship (CHAN) after suffering a 4-1 post match penalties loss to Tanzania following a 0-0 draw in the return leg at the Kasarani Stadium on Sunday evening.The two teams played to a similar result in Tanzania last weekend and the aggregate scores meant penalties would decide who proceeds to the next round. Joash Onyango struck his penalty over the bar while Michael Kibwage saw his effort saved as the Tanzanians triumphed in Nairobi.Erasto Nyoni, Paulo Godfrey, Gadiel Michael and Salum Hamis each put one past John Oyemba in Stars’ goal while Kenya’s only penalty that found the back of the net was from Clifton Miheso.Tanzania now go through to the second round where they will face off with Sudan.It was yet another day when head coach Sebastien Migne’s tactics hit a brick wall, his choice of striker upfront Sidney Lokale failing to show anything worth smiling about while last season’s Kenyan Premier League top scorer Enosh Ochieng watched from the bench.Boniface Muchiri, called up to spark a misfiring striking line for the return leg also watched the entire encounter on the bench despite his goal scoring prowess seeing him finish as Tusker’s top scorer with 12 to his name.-Shambi in, Shambi outMigne subbed in Ulinzi Stars midfielder Ibrahim Shambi in the 28th minute after Philemon Otieno was injured, but substituted him out 12 minutes in the second half for David Owino.The tactician’s change was curious as he brought on Ulinzi Stars midfielder Ibrahim Shambi to play on the right side of defense while natural defender, Bernard Ochieng who played in the same position in the first leg in Dar es Salaam remained on the bench.Three horrible shots, one off a freekick summarized Kenya’s first half performance. Not that Tanzania were any better, but it was a half to forget for Migne and his charges.Migne had made two changes from the team that played in Tanzania, Philemon coming on while Sidney Lokale was also started with Musa Masika not even being in thematch day 18.None of the two teams managed a single shot on target. Tanzania had an effort at goal after six minutes, Iddi Selemani’s effort at goal from range going over.-Tanzania chanceFrank Domayo had an even better chance in the 18th minute when Hassan Dilunga’s cross from the right found him rushing in at the edge of the six yard box, but his technique on the volley was awry, the ball going over.Kenya’s only sniffs at goal were off two efforts from distance by Kenneth Muguna and Dennis Odhiambo both going over while Clifton Miheso followed the same path with a freekick from good scoring range.Stars had a frantic start to the second half and had a chance to score barely a minute in when a quickly taken throw in found Miheso who cut back for Whyvonne Isuza, but his shot hit the side netting.With Shambi out, Samuel Onyango was deployed as a wingback while Owino played as a winger. The diminutive Mathare United man caused lots of trouble for the Tanzanian backline with his runs and energy.-Kaseja off his lineWith 15 minutes left, Stars had another great chance when Lokale cut in a cross from the right but both Isuza and Duke Abuya missed with Juma Kaseja off his line.Migne looked on to the KPL top scorer Ochieng to spark his misfiring forward line calling him in for Lokale. But still there was no way past the Tanzanian backline.In fact, it was Tanzania who almost grabbed victory at the death when a mistake from Oyemba off his line gifted John Bocco of the ball, but the experienced striker hit the ball over the bar with only Joash Onyango, Kenya’s best player of the evening on the line.0Shares0000(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)
Petr Cech and Jose Mourinho Jose Mourinho claims he would love to keep Petr Cech at Chelsea – but admits he is powerless to stop the goalkeeper leaving the club this summer.The Czech shot stopper has been replaced by Thibaut Courtois as the Blues No.1 and has been linked with a move to Manchester United and Arsenal in the summer.Paris Saint-Germain are also monitoring developments at Stamford Bridge and Mourinho claims he would much prefer to sell the 32-year-old outside of the Premier League.When asked whether Cech will definitely leave in the summer, Mourinho said: “I hope not.“My perfect scenario is that he stays with us. He belongs with this club, and this club belongs to his history and his life.“He’s a fantastic goalkeeper, a fantastic squad man in the dressing room. I tried to prove the respect I have for him my playing him in the FA Cup and Capital One Cup final.“I played him in the Champions League. I gave him matches in the Premier League.“I tried to make him feel important, as he is, but I can imagine at 32 or 33, he still feels young and has the passion and desire to play every game.“If it’s in my hands, he would never go. He would never go to big clubs and fantastic teams, big candidates who want to win the Premier League. I would never let him go, but it’s not in my hands.” 1
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! STUDIO CITY – A suspected carjacker reportedly driving at more than 100 mph led police on a freeway chase in the San Fernando Valley today before he abandoned his vehicle, ran across lanes and was finally captured, authorities said. The suspect, who was driving a maroon Toyota Camry, was going east on the Ventura (101) Freeway when he ran over a median near the junction with the 134 Freeway, then abandoned the car near Vineland Avenue, according to a live TV broadcast. The suspect, whose name was withheld pending booking, is suspected of stealing the maroon Toyota Camry during a carjacking in La Habra yesterday, said Officer Ana Aguirre of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Media Relations Section. The suspect ran into brush but was caught about 9:45 a.m. The chase started on eastbound 101 about 9:30 a.m. Helicopter news crews provided live coverage of the chase as the driver exited at Woodman Avenue, the got back on the freeway going west. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsAfter a few miles, he exited and got back on the freeway headed east. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.
When we think of thistles we tend to think about weeds, both in the shrub beds but also in the lawn, I think all of us at some point have sat upon a hidden thistle when we’re having a picnic, or consoled a child who’d handplanted a thistle whilst practicing cartwheels down the park… but did you know there are desirable thistles for the garden?Recently I visited a fantastic garden outside of Edinburgh called Malleny Garden, and I was struck by the sheer number of bees enjoying a visit to an Ornamental thistle – Cirsium rivulare ‘Atropurpureum’. There must have been four bees to each flower… it was a wonderful sight, and of course the bees were so content they had little interest in me standing filming them.These ornamental thistles suit a ‘naturalistic’ style of planting, combined in a perennial border they look great, but on their own they look a bit leggy – due to the flowers which stand up straight and tall above their foliage. Advertisement The deep colour of the flowers are very luxurious and the plant will grow trouble free here in Donegal, but due to its tall flowers will need some support of grown in a garden free from strong winds, and the plant adores damp and fertile soil, so in winter months mulch with some garden compost or rotted manure to keep the fertility in the soil high, this will also help with moisture retention during dry periods in the summer.Once established you can divide the plant every 5 years, creating multiple plants to add to other parts of the garden – best done in the Autumn, or you can gather seeds in the summer for sowing the following Spring.DD Gardening: A thistle you’ll want in your garden! was last modified: June 25th, 2017 by Gareth AustinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cirsium rivulare ‘Atropurpureum’Gardeningthistle
England are completing their final preparations at home before flying out to Russia for the World Cup, and it’s all starting to get rather exciting.The Three Lions’ opening fixture is only a week away now, against Tunisia on 18th June, and Gareth Southgate’s men are about to enter tournament mode. 5 5 5 5 Monday, June 18: TUNISIA v England (Volgograd Arena, Volgograd) – kick-off 19:00Sunday, June 24: England v PANAMA (Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Nizhny Novgorod) – kick-off 13:00Thursday, June 28: England v BELGIUM (Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad) – kick-off 19:00And hopefully more beyond the group stage. Fingers crossed.talkSPORT will be with listeners all day and all night at this years 2018 FIFA World Cup with over 800 hours of World Cup content and all 64 games live across the talkSPORT network. The purpose-built Spartak Zelenogorsk will host England’s training sessions.Situated just two miles from the hotel, it has been completely renovated by the FA, with a new clubhouse and modern media facilities for journalists following the team.Who do they play? Southgate’s preparations at home are nearly finished Southgate, his staff and the 23-man squad will fly out to Russia from Birmingham Airport on the afternoon of Tuesday 12th June. A final training session will take place at St George’s Park in the morning. They land at a small private airport close to the team’s base in the rural setting of Repino.Where will the team stay? The Three Lions have booked a lovely, quiet hotel in Repino called ForRestMix Club Sport&Relax. It is a 45-minute drive from St Petersburg and over 1000 miles from the Volgograd Arena, where they play Tunisia.The players will be treated to spacious rooms with gorgeous views of the forest. If they look really closely, they’ll be able to see the Gulf of Finland.It is not the most upmarket choice, compared to previous tournaments, but it does have a spa, gym, sports hall and pool, with Southgate stressing the importance of relaxation.Where will the players train? 5 Here, talkSPORT.com gives you every detail of their plans for the competition.When do they fly to Russia?
The Trail Blazers have struggled recently, losing their last two. But, with the Warriors coming to town on the second night of a back to back, Portland hopes home cooking makes the difference.When/Where: Moda Center, 7:30 p.m. (NBCSBA)Blazers projected starting lineup: Al-Farouq Aminu, Maurice Harkless, Jusuf Nurkic, Damian Lillard, CJ McCollumBlazers Stock Report: Since the last matchup between these two teams, Portland has maintained its standing as one of the five best teams in the …
Tags:#now#Prism#spying 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Related Posts In news even less surprising than the sun came up in the eastthis morning, USA Today is reporting that defense contractor Booz Allen Hamilton has fired their most notorious employee: PRISM leaker Edward Snowden.(See also: PRISM Leaker Goes Public To Defend Claims)Snowden has been identified as a former technical assistant for the CIA and was, until today, an employee of Booz Allen. He revealed his own identity on his own volition, to establish the veracity of the documentation he has released to the media.Snowden’s exact whereabouts are unknown, but he was last confirmed in Hong Kong and there is no evidence he has left that region. readwrite