Last time they played: Syracuse came back in thrilling fashion against Wake Forest

first_img Published on November 1, 2013 at 12:42 am Facebook Twitter Google+ Commentscenter_img Ryan Nassib completed 13-of-15 passes after halftime, Antwon Bailey broke out and Van Chew made two monumental catches. A Syracuse offense that managed just seven first-half points exploded to erase a 15-point, fourth-quarter deficit to earn a season-opening victory.“We were looking for that explosiveness from them right off the get-go, but hey, better late than never,” Syracuse defensive end Mikhail Marinovich told The Daily Orange after the game.The Orange (1-0, 0-0 Big East) offense rebounded to pull off the program’s largest comeback since 2003, shocking the Demon Deacons (0-1, 0-0 Atlantic Coast) 36-29 in overtime in front of 40,833. After Syracuse scored the final 15 points of regulation in a 3:55 span, Nassib connected with Chew for a 4-yard score in the first possession of overtime to complete the rally.“That’s one of the best wins since I’ve been in Syracuse,” Bailey said at the time. “To do it in the fashion we did it, to come from so many points down and then to do it in the Dome, it doesn’t get any better than that.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAn SU offense that managed just five total yards in the first quarter and entered halftime with more penalty yards — 56 — than total offense — 52 — made a remarkable turnaround.Jimmy Newman’s 40-yard field goal with 11:02 remaining in the fourth quarter gave Wake Forest a 29-14 lead.Then Nassib, who started the game 1-for-5, caught fire. A 21-yard hookup with Alec Lemon. Twenty-four yards to Chew moments later. By the time Nassib hit fullback Adam Harris for a 2-yard score, he was 5-for-5 on the drive. 29-21.“We got it within eight, and I felt like that was a big turning point for the team,” Harris told The Daily Orange after the game. “Everybody started getting a little excitement. The stadium felt alive again.”Then it was Bailey’s turn. The running back, who logged 11 yards on seven first-half carries, exploded down the left sideline for a 53-yard touchdown run to make it 29-27. He would finish with 114 rushing yards and two touchdowns.But the next play was made by Chew — a diving grab falling out of the back right corner of the end zone. Chew dragged his left hip along the Carrier Dome turf after hauling in Nassib’s pass.“We like teams that pressure us because now you can get the big play,” SU head coach Doug Marrone told The Daily Orange. “We were able to make some big plays. I’m disappointed we couldn’t make them earlier.”And finally, Nassib went back to Chew for the finale. Chew absorbed a hit from Wake Forest strong safety Cyhl Quarles on a first-down play before snagging a 16-yard deep comeback, which put the Orange inside the Demon Deacons’ 10.Two plays later, Nassib drifted backward, away from pressure, before lofting a pass to Chew in the front left corner of the end zone.Chew moved forward, received the pass and rolled onto the Dome turf.“I saw the ball in the air and I was like, ‘I have to get it. We have to score,’” Chew said to The Daily Orange. “So I just went after it.”Wake Forest turned the ball over on downs on its rebuttal possession. Syracuse’s comeback was complete.“It was probably the best game I ever played in my life and been in,” Chew said.—Compiled by Stephen Bailey, asst. sports editor, [email protected]last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *