Trafigura co-founder Graham Sharp retired from the company in 2007, and established the Helsington Foundation, a trust that has given the university £3.25m to fund a new summer school programme at Oxford to help students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Trafigura was fined £840,000 by a court in the Netherlands for illegally exporting tonnes of toxic waste and disposing of it in the Ivory Coast. 30,000 people are believed to have fallen ill as a consequence of the disposal. Sharp graduated from St John’s College in 1983 with a first-class honours degree in Engineering, Economics and Management. The prosecution against Trafigura, which is considering an appeal, argued that the company had put “self-interest above people’s health and the environment”. The company has previously paid £32m compensation in an out-of-court settlement to those who required medical treatment. In another settlement, £100m was given to the Ivory Coast government to help clean up the waste, although Trafigura did not officially admit its liability. A spokesperson for the university said that the Helsington Foundation is “entirely independent of the company with which Mr Sharp worked”. Sharp said of his donation, “I want to help with initiatives that reach out to those pupils who have ability and aspirations but aren’t able to fulfil those aspirations. I named the foundation after the outward bound centre I went to with my old school – a place that helped widen my education.” The University announced the donation in April 2009, and the summer schools started earlier this month. The programme, which currently has 500 places, is set to replace the Sutton Trust summer schools, and aims to offer 1,000 places by 2014. Oxford University has accepted more than £3million in donations from Graham Sharp, a St John’s College alumnus and co-founder of Trafigura, an oil trading company that was convicted last Friday of criminal charges over a 2006 environmental scandal.
By Dialogo July 31, 2014 A quick response from the Army and the National Police Guatemalan Army troops and National Police officers coordinated efforts to assist victims of the July 7 earthquake which killed one person and injured 274 people, authorities said. The major earthquake damaged more than 9,000 living quarters in western Guatemala, leaving nearly 2,900 of those homes uninhabitable, according to a July 14 press release from the National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction (CONRED). Security forces assisted in the evacuations of 6,341 people. The earthquake registered 6.4 on the Richter scale, according to Gerardo Dávila, the spokesman for the municipality of San Marcos. The quake caused damage in the departments of San Marcos, Quetzaltenango, Huehuetenango, Totonicapán, Sololá, Retalhuleu and Suchitepéquez. The earthquake inflicted the worst damage in San Marcos. About 200 highly trained Army officers responded quickly to San Marcos to assist in the cleanup and remove debris from homes and roads, according to Dávila. “Army soldiers have been under the command of the national emergency committee at the department and municipal levels,” Dávila said. “The soldiers have been focusing on the emergency from the beginning to avoid any mishaps; the response was immediate.” According to Dávila, dozens of officers of the National Civil Police (PNC) provided security to the people of San Marcos and municipalities affected by the quake. In addition, damage was reported to the electric utility network in several municipalities in San Marcos, a situation in the early hours that left more than 127,000 users without electricity. Over the course of the days, work was performed to restore the service, authorities said. Soldiers of the Alta Montaña Operations Brigade of San Marcos helped evacuate people at risk and in the assessment of damage caused by the quake. The Brigade has been working directly with those affected; people trust them, Dávila said. The quake’s epicenter was located eight kilometers from the coastal town of Puerto Madero, on the Mexican Pacific, and about 200 kilometers east of the capital of Guatemala. On July 9, President Otto Pérez Molina declared a state of calamity in the quake-hit area. The measure is a legal tool that allows authorities to assist people quickly in an orderly manner and quickly rebuild damaged infrastructure, mainly housing. This measure allowed the government to save up to 70 million quetzals (US$ 9 million) in the reconstruction process after the earthquake registering 7.1 on the Richter scale occurred on November 7, 2012. This earthquake devastated the same region, 44 people were killed and more than 7,000 homes were destroyed, according to Teleprensa. “Any tremor should be classified by the damage caused,” said the CONRED coordinator, Alejandro Maldonado, in the first block of the television program “De Frente con el Presidente”, which aired on July 8 from the central courtyard of the National Palace, the government of Guatemala reported. “An earthquake above 6.0 on the Richter scale is 32 times more powerful than a magnitude 5.” “The immediate action by relief agencies, police, and the Army prevented more casualties in the country,” Maldonado said. During the television program, Pérez Molina lamented the death of a baby at National Hospital in San Marcos. The quake caused the suspended ceiling of the hospital to break off and fall on the newborn. Pérez Molina also reiterated that the quake “is considered serious, but cannot be classified as a major earthquake.” He added that the government is more than willing to work to carry out reconstruction efforts, which is still in the process after the earthquake in 2012. Total reconstruction is a lengthy process because it is carried out through a subsidy, and many times the funds are not there, said Amanda Moran Mérida, researcher at the Center for Urban and Regional Studies (CEUR) at the University of San Carlos of Guatemala (USAC). “The subsidy granted by the government to rebuild a home is approximately 35,000 quetzals (US$ 4,500).” “Forty percent of homes in the rural areas of Guatemala are built with adobe material” (brick made with clay or sand, mixed with straw), Moran Mérida said. The lack of budget is the main obstacle in rebuilding homes and schools damaged by the recent earthquake, where the population demands quality reconstruction in the shortest time possible, Pérez Molina told Guatevision television network on July 17. The Guatemalan government has more than US$ 5 million (40 million quetzals) to begin rebuilding homes. The reconstruction of homes will be the responsibility of the Army Corps of Engineers, staff of the Ministry of Communications, Infrastructure and Housing, and the Social Development Fund, authorities said. The rebuilding plan will take place in three phases. The first phase will be the cleanup, the second, assessment, followed by demolition and reconstruction, while in the third phase, material and personnel data will be obtained that the authorities require. “The fear of an earthquake is general; it is inevitable.” San Marcos is working normally. The population came together immediately to continue with daily activities. Unfortunately, some schools have not restarted activities; their buildings were damaged, Dávila said. “This earthquake took us by surprise. We are not prepared for a catastrophe; we have a lot to do. The authorities must continue to promote more training at all levels of government and communities. Residents should not wait for security forces to come. They must act and work immediately. It is a task for everyone,” Dávila said. In each of the departments concerned, authorities continue with various actions in response to those affected. The Army of Guatemala will carry out recovery actions in the departments affected by the quake.
Mrs. Geraldine (Lock) Banta, age 86, of Vevay, Indiana, entered this life on July 27, 1933 in Switzerland County, Indiana. She was the loving daughter of the late Ernie and Dorothy Marcella (Roeder) Lock. Geraldine was raised all over Indiana because her father was a teacher and attended the Vevay High School. She was a member of the Long Run Baptist Church. Geraldine was united in marriage on November 10, 1949 to the late Everett Ray “Dutch” Banta in Carrollton, Kentucky. This happy union was blessed with a daughter, Sharon. Geraldine and Everett shared nearly 59 years of marriage together until he passed away on April 20, 2008. Geraldine was formerly employed for 23 years for the US Shoe Factory in Vevay, Indiana until 1974, 1 year for the Versailles Extension Office, 3 years for the Census Bureau and then started farming with her husband. She was a former member of the Moorefield Homemakers Club and served on the Farm Bureau Board for several years. Geraldine enjoyed mowing her lawn, crafting and gardening. Geraldine will be remembered for her raspberry jelly, “the best you ever ate.” Geraldine passed away at 4:30 a.m., Tuesday, December 31, 2019, at the Highpoint Health in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.Geraldine will be missed by her daughter, Sharon Kay Ketenbrink and her husband, Earl of Rising Sun, IN; her grandchildren, Andrea Jo Ketenbrink, Heather Thomas and her husband, Dan and John Ketenbrink and his wife, Andrea; her great-grandchildren, Hannah, Mallory, Noah, Haley, Rachel and Logan and her sister, Joann Arnett and her husband, David of Rockford, TN.She was preceded in death by her father, Ernie Lock, died September 26, 1969; her mother, Dorothy Marcella (Roeder) Lock, died December 24, 1988; her husband, Everett Ray “Dutch” Banta, died April 20, 2008.Funeral services will be conducted Saturday, January 4, 2020, at 11:00 a.m., by Rev. Tom Rogers at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street, Vevay, Indiana 47043.Interment will follow in the Vevay Cemetery, Vevay, Indiana.Friends may call 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Friday, January 3, 2020, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street, Vevay, Indiana 47043.Memorial contributions may be made to Long Run Baptist Church. Cards are available at the funeral home or online at www.haskellandmorrison.com
South Junior A Football Championship: St Patrick’s 1-09 Ballingarry 5-06South Intermediate Football League Championship: Clonmel Commercials 0-10 Father Sheehys 2-14, Mullinahone 0-11 Carrick Swans 3-07Group 1 of the West Junior B Hurling Championship: Clonoulty/Rossmore 1-17 Éire Óg Anacarty/Donohill 2-13 Mid Junior A Hurling Championship: Thurles Sarsfields 2-15 Drom-Inch 1-12County Intermediate Hurling League: Moycarkey-Borris 0-18 Ballinahinch 1-14County Adult Football League Premier Division: Cahir 3-15 Moyne/Templetuohy 1-09North U21 B Hurling: Shannon Rovers Gaels 2-03 Borris-Ileigh 3-26
A statement by the NOC indicate that after the investiture ceremony for Patrons from the South on Tuesday, there will be another ceremony for those in the northern part of the country on November 1 in Abuja.The Patrons on the honours list from the north include His Excellency M. A. Abubakar, Gbong Gwom Jos, Dr Jacob Buba Gyang, Dr Zainab Bagudu, Alhaji Bashari Mohammed Gumel, Alhaji Ibrahim Galadima and a former NOC President, Major-General Adamu Dyeri (rtd).The statement added that the Patrons were being honoured for their contributions to the development of sports in the country and the Olympic movement, in particular.Being a Patron of the Olympic Movement positions honourees as iconic international sports personalities, carrying the emblem of Nigeria globally. “It is therefore our honour to invest the honourees with the Patronship of the Olympic Movement which is in recognition of their meritorious contributions to humanity, sport and societal development,” the statement concluded.The responsibility and expectation of Patrons of the Nigeria Olympic Committee is to advice and support the Olympic Movement as appropriate.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram All is now set for the investiture of new patrons of the Nigeria Olympic Committee. The event has been fixed for Tuesday, 23rd October, 2018 at the Elegushi’s Palace in Ikate, off Lekki-Epe Expressway from 12 noon.The Elegushi’s Palace is wearing a new look and palace sources informed that security is top notch.Those to be honoured include the national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and one-time Governor of Lagos State Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, His Royal Majesty, Oba S. A. Elegushi, former Governor of Delta State Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan, Chief Kofoworola Adejoke Nwokedi and Sir Marc Wabara.