We have not bid for Kylian Mbappe: Arsene Wenger

first_imgArsenal manager Arsene Wenger has denied that the club have made a bid for Monaco striker Kylian Mbappe, whom he believes will stay at the French club.Arsenal have been heavily linked with a move for the 18-year-old who has become one of Europe’s most sought-after strikers.”We have not made any offer,’ Wenger told reporters after Arsenal’s 3-1 victory over Western Sydney Wanderers at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on Saturday.”I think he will stay, it looks like that. One more season. Maybe he has too much choice. In the end, people don’t move.”What we know now is that Mbappe is over 100 million (pounds) and after that it’s free to imagine what you want,” said Wenger.Wenger also said that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain would stay despite interest from Chelsea and Liverpool.”Hundred percent I expect him to stay,” he said. “No matter what happens he will stay.”last_img read more

‘Ancelotti should take Guangzhou Evergrande job’

first_imgCarlo Ancelotti Sacked Bayern Munich boss Ancelotti should take Guangzhou Evergrande job, says Scolari Zhicheng Hu Last updated 2 years ago 14:19 30/9/2017 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Carlo Ancelotti Bayern Munich Bundesliga 05061 Lennart Preiss Carlo Ancelotti Guangzhou Evergrande Guangzhou Evergrande v Shanghai SIPG Shanghai SIPG FA Cup The former Brazil manager claims that the recently sacked Bayern Munich boss should jump at the chance to join the Chinese side should it come Guangzhou Evergrande manager Luiz Felipe Scolari was not put off by links between the club and recently sacked Bayern Munich boss Carlo Ancelotti. In fact, the former Brazil manager seemingly advised the Italian to jump at the chance to join the Chinese club should it arise. Bayern 6/1 to beat Hertha Berlin 1-0 Article continues below Editors’ Picks Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. Ancelotti’s rough start to the season with the Bundesliga champions culminated in his getting the sack after a 3-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.Earlier in September, former Bayern midfielder Mario Basler had made claims that Ancelotti already had a deal in place in China, though the Italian quickly laughed off the rumours. However, when quized about the possibility, Brazilian Scolari advised his fellow former Chelsea boss to give it some consideration. “If Ancelotti is offered the opportunity to come to Guangzhou, he should consider grasping it,” the Evergrande boss told a news conference ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup clash with Shanghai SIPG.“Evergrande is a fantastic club, with great working environment. Not only for Ancelotti, Evergrande is a good destination for any coach who is linked with the club.  “My current contract at Evergrande runs until Nov.30 and of course, I’m willing to fulfil it. “In the meantime, I will do my utmost to win as many titles as I can.”Scolari currently has the club sitting top of the league on 58 points through 26 matches.last_img read more

Sign up to LabourLists morning email for everythi

first_imgSign up to LabourList’s morning email for everything Labour, every weekday morning.It’s official: Labour is backing a fresh public vote on the UK’s relationship with the EU. Last night, Jeremy Corbyn told the parliamentary party that an official amendment will be tabled to the government’s neutral Brexit motion this week setting out his “five demands” for Brexit. This seeks to change our negotiating position, but will be rejected by the Commons. Then the leader revealed we had reached the final stage of Labour’s conference policy, the moment many have been fighting for and others have been dreading, as he said that “in line with our conference policy, we are committed to also putting forward or supporting an amendment in favour of a public vote to prevent a damaging Tory Brexit being forced on the country”.Why now? There is speculation that the resignations of pro-EU MPs last week prompted the shift, but this is dismissed by those who argue that this plan has been in place since September. Whatever the reason, we know that Corbyn is still uneasy backing a ‘people’s vote’, as our dozens of Labour MPs including frontbenchers. Even Emily Thornberry, who was comfortable talking about the development on Newsnight, once said backing another referendum would give the impression that the political class thinks voters are stupid.These tensions are causing confusion. Thornberry is clear that supporting another referendum is conditional on Labour’s plan being rejected tomorrow; Keir Starmer says the ballot paper options would be ‘Remain’ or ‘credible deal’, with Labour campaigning to remain, and the party would continue to push for a referendum even if May’s deal passes. But the leadership wants to play it more by ear. Labour sources are briefing that firm decisions haven’t yet been made on such details, which prompted Tom Watson to tweet that press officers are undermining the “sovereignty” of shadow cabinet members.The bottom line is that ‘no deal’ has become more likely and Labour has felt a duty to use whatever it has in its arsenal to block that outcome. Both morally (to help prevent the economic fallout) and electorally (to ensure it can’t be blamed for it). And the other bottom line is that – while this position, combined with the Prime Minister moving closer towards Article 50 extension, may shift the Brexit Overton window, and have (as yet unknown) consequences at the next election – the votes just aren’t there.There is currently no Commons majority for a ‘people’s vote’. Only nine (former/current) Tories have backed the idea so far. John Mann, Kevin Barron and other Labour MPs in Leave seats have already made clear they’ll be voting against. Caroline Flint is calling for a free vote (no whip). Remember that 14 Labour MPs voted against the last Cooper amendment, while eight shadow ministers abstained, and another referendum is more contentious than a Brexit delay. People’s Vote campaigners will say, forget electoral calculations and stand up for what’s right. Those sympathetic to Corbyn’s hesitance will say, we might have just cost ourselves marginal Leave seats, and for what? The interesting question is whether this move will have a long-term impact on Labour’s policy towards membership of the EU, and there is no way of knowing the answer to that yet.Sign up to LabourList’s morning email for everything Labour, every weekday morning.Tags:Tom Watson /Labour /Jeremy Corbyn /Emily Thornberry /Keir Starmer /People’s Vote /last_img read more