Long break helped GlobalPort correct ‘bad habits,’ says Jarencio

first_imgFILE – GlobalPort coach Pido Jarencio. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netGlobalPort coach Pido Jarencio sees his team’s two-week break as a blessing in disguise.Jarencio said the Batang Pier were able to address some of their concerns during the break.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award The outspoken mentor is also optimistic that his role players will step up for the tiff and help Stanley Pringle, who posted 33 points, 10 rebounds, four assists, and two steals in the loss.“I have already addressed that to the team and it’s definite to them that what we want is to see more aggressiveness and energy,” he said, as he hopes his players will deliver and make up for the absence of the still injured Terrence Romeo.Sean Anthony and Jonathan Grey had good showings, but Jarencio needs more from his crew, especially from guys like veterans Bradwyn Guinto and Ryan Araña.ADVERTISEMENT Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson “We prepared hard. We corrected our bad habits and fixed our offense and defense. I think we can really see the progress of this team this time,” he said.GlobalPort is coming off a 104-115 defeat to NLEX in its season opener on Christmas.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkJarencio, however, charged the defeat to “first game jitters” as he expects his wards to fare better come Sunday when they face Ginebra at Smart Araneta Coliseum.“We seemed like we were in shock. But I believe that we’re better prepared for the big game on Sunday against Ginebra, especially with them coming from a win and playing well. So we’ll just do our best,” he said. View comments Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Hall of Famer Julius ‘Dr. J’ Erving falls ill at 76ers game Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READlast_img read more

Incoming Chelsea boss Antonio Conte acquitted in match-fixing trial

first_img Antonio Conte 1 Italy head coach Antonio Conte is clear to take charge of Chelsea in the summer after being acquitted of charges pertaining to sporting fraud, an Italian judge has announced.The 46-year-old, who will move to England and Stamford Bridge after leading Italy at the European Championship, had been accused of failing to report his knowledge of an incident of attempted match-fixing during his time as Siena boss in 2011.Cremona-based prosecutor Roberto Di Martino had asked for Conte to be handed a suspended six-month prison sentence and fined 8,000 euros (£6,300), but the former Juventus coach, represented by lawyers, was on Monday acquitted by judge Pierpaolo Beluzzi during a preliminary hearing.Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio welcomed the decision, telling Italian newspaper Il Sole: “I am highly satisfied with the court’s acquittal of Antonio Conte.“Finally his position has been clarified and my confidence in him has never been in question. Now we are all the more focused on the Euros.”In 2012 Conte, who has always denied any wrongdoing, served a four-month ban imposed by the FIGC in connection with the case, which is known in Italy as ‘Calcioscommesse’Conte on Monday evening marked the end of a “nightmare period” in his life by publishing a statement on his official Facebook page.“Four years ago, a search of my house at 5am ushered in a nightmare period that at times I felt would go on forever,” wrote the Lecce-born tactician.“Those who stood by me, and who know me best, know how much I have struggled with the idea that my name might be associated with the shameful world of match-fixing.“Today finally draws a line under this ugly story.“I thank my family and the many people who never believed even for a moment the words which presented a false image of my lifestyle.“As I have already said to those who were trying to judge me, I am a sportsman and I know no other way to achieve success than through sacrifice and total dedication.“It was a terrible experience and I have faced it head on. This is demonstrated by the fact that I decided to take part in the process, as I have always done in life, rather than looking for loopholes.“To all those who never doubted my honesty, I want to express my gratitude, and reassure them that I have emerged from this testing time as a stronger and more highly motivated person.”last_img read more