Coronavirus time bomb: America’s uninsured and brutal work culture

first_imgLike many Americans, bartender Danjale Williams is worried about the growing threat of the novel coronavirus.What makes the 22-year-old in Washington even more frightened: The thought of medical bills she just can’t afford, as one of almost 27.5 million people in the United States who don’t have health insurance. “I definitely would second guess before going to the doctor, because the doctor’s bill is crazy,” she said. “If it did come down to that, I don’t have enough savings to keep me healthy.” The current figure is about 8.5 percent of the population. Getting through the door Public health experts often worry about the destructive potential of a pandemic in poorer parts of the world like sub-Saharan Africa or South Asia. These poverty-plagued regions have hospitals that are ill-equipped to stop the spread of infectious diseases, or to adequately care for patients needing breathing assistance, which the most severe cases of COVID-19 require.By contrast, the US has some of the world’s best hospitals and medical staff, but those not lucky enough to have good insurance through their employer, and not poor enough to qualify for state insurance, often opt out of the system entirely.A routine doctor’s visit can run into hundreds of dollars for those without coverage.”I think that it’s possible if this has the sustained spread, that might highlight some of those health care disparities that we already know about and are trying to work on, but haven’t figured out a way to solve,” said Brian Garibaldi, the medical director of Johns Hopkins Hospital’s biocontainment unit.That’s not to say uninsured people have no recourse if they fall seriously ill. US law requires that people who are truly sick get the care they need, regardless of ability to pay. Abigail Hansmeyer, a Minnesota resident who along with her husband is uninsured, said that if she did fall ill, “we may seek out the emergency room for treatment.”But being treated doesn’t mean the visit was free and the uninsured can be lumped with huge bills after.”So we have to very carefully consider costs in every situation,” the 29-year-old said.Presentee-ism One of the key messages the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has put out about the coronavirus is to stay home if you have mild respiratory symptoms, except to go to the doctor once you have called in and if they think you need to.”But a lot of people, depending on their jobs, their position and their privilege, are not able to do that,” said Brown.The US is alone among advanced countries in not offering any federally mandated paid sick leave.Though private companies offer an average of eight days per year, only 30 percent of the lowest paid workers are  able to earn sick days, according to the Economic Policy Institute. For many of these people, missing even a day’s work can make a painful financial dent.An October 2019 nationwide survey of 2,800 workers by the accounting firm Robert Half found that 57 percent sometimes go to work while sick and 33 percent always go when sick.Vaccine cost fears As the global death toll from the virus approaches 3,000 and the US braces for a wider outbreak, the race is on to develop vaccines and treatments. Current timeline estimates for the leading vaccine candidate are 12-18 months, but will it be affordable for all? That question was put to Health Secretary Alex Azar in Congress last week.His response: “We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can’t control that price because we need the private sector to invest.” Ed Silverman, a columnist for industry news site Pharmalot, panned the comment  as “outrageous.””No one said profits are verboten,” he wrote. “But should we let some Americans who may contract the coronavirus die because the price is out of reach?”Topics : As the virus begins spreading in the west of the country, where the first death was reported Saturday, public health experts warned the US has several characteristics unique among wealthy nations that make it vulnerable.These include a large and growing population without medical insurance, the 11 million or so undocumented migrants afraid to come into contact with authorities, and a culture of “powering through” when sick for fear of losing one’s job.”These are all things that can perpetuate the spread of a virus,” said Brandon Brown, an epidemiologist at UC Riverside.The number of Americans without health insurance began falling from a high of 46.7 million in 2010 following the passage of Obamacare (the Affordable Care Act), but has risen again over the past two years.last_img read more

Wenger: I want to stay forever

first_imgArsene Wenger believes he was right to turn down the likes of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and even the England job to stay on as Arsenal manager for 17 years – and would welcome ending his coaching career at the Emirates Stadium. The Frenchman, who will turn 64 next month, has received the full backing of owner Stan Kroenke as his young team look to deliver a first trophy since 2005 with the London club embarking on what they hope will be a new chapter backed by increased financial resources, which helped secure the record £43million signing of Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid. Following the disappointment of an opening-day 3-1 home defeat by Aston Villa, Wenger has since guided Arsenal safely into the group stages of the Champions League, to the top of the Barclays Premier League table and on Wednesday night saw the next generation come through a penalty shoot-out in the Capital One Cup at West Brom. Press Association “I want to feel that I do well and then the question of me staying will be secondary after that.” The arrival of the relatively unheralded former Monaco and Nagoya Grampus Eight coach was met by headlines of “Arsene Who?” when he succeeded Bruce Rioch in September 1996. Wenger, though, has no intentions of revelling in a bit of nostalgia ahead of what is set to be a testing encounter at the Liberty Stadium. ”Our job has a good advantage – you just look forward to the next game,” he said. Arsenal head to Swansea looking to stay top of the table after four straight league wins. Former Cardiff midfielder Aaron Ramsey is set to have a fitness test on a thigh problem, as is Mathieu Flamini (shoulder). England forward Theo Walcott, meanwhile, faces more than a month of rehabilitation after a minor procedure on an abdominal problem. Last season, Arsenal battled to a 2-2 draw at Swansea in the FA Cup third round, before going through on a replay, and then won 2-0 in Wales when the home side had just celebrated winning the Capital One Cup. “Swansea are a team now where the level of expectation is higher than the year before, so of course everybody wants them to be performing in the top seven or eight, what I think they have the quality to do,” said Wenger, whose side were beaten 2-0 at home by Swansea in their Premier League game on December 1. “Overall they buy well, they play attractive football. Swansea is a very, very good team.” Wenger remains relaxed about his own long-term future, but made it clear he would have no issue with signing on again for the Gunners. “Yes I turned many offers down because I rate what I’ve got here and I always thought that this club is special on that front. In our job it is important to know what you want and I rated the qualities that this club has always shown,” said Wenger, who takes his side to Swansea for Saturday afternoon’s late kick-off. “I am very grateful to this club because during the 17 years we had ups and downs. They have always shown a big faith in me and they always let me do the job like I thought it had to be done, and if I am still here today it is because I got that consistent support from inside the club. “Honestly, I would love to be here forever because that would mean I would be immortal! I am (though) not naive enough to believe that. What I would like to do as long as I am here is give my best for this club because I love this club, of course.” Wenger added: “I am very honoured to have the support of Stan Kroenke. That he thinks I can help the club is a huge confidence vote. That is something for me that is very positive.” On the continuing negotiations, he said: “(We will do it) when we find time. I don’t think that is the most important problem at the moment. “The good thing with me, if I have one quality, (it is that) you don’t need a lot of talks to extend the contract I have. “I want to focus on the quality of our season. last_img read more

Betway eyes Sevilla FC sponsorship amid changing Spanish advertising climate

first_img Betway is gearing up for its biggest Spanish marketing commitment, after reportedly entering discussions to become the official shirt sponsor of Sevilla FC in time for the start of the 2020/2021 La Liga football season. Spanish football news source Palco23 has reported that Betway is leading the way to replace Marathonbet as lead sponsor of Sevilla, recognised as Andalucía’s biggest football club.Following the abrupt postponement of the La Liga 2019/2020 season, Marathonbet is reported to have withdrawn its sponsorship of Sevilla, terminating terms on its existing two-year contract. Meanwhile, Betway, which seeks to further establish its La Liga presence, has offered Sevilla a €5 million per season deal, representing the club’s biggest-ever sponsorship.  Betway has an established Spanish football presence, having undertaken a series of sponsorships with smaller La Liga clubs in Alaves, CD Leganes and Levante UD during the summer of 2018.However, Betway’s planned Sevilla sponsorship will carry underlying risks, as Spain’s coalition government moves to enforce a new federal code across all gambling verticals.This April, Spain’s Consumer Affairs Ministry fast-tracked provisions of the approved Royal Decree on advertising, banning all betting-related advertising during sports broadcasts.Spanish football clubs and national broadcasters have criticised this action, stating that incumbents had been given no grace period to fulfil existing contracts.The decision to enforce the Royal Decree was sanctioned by Consumer Affairs Minister Alberto Garzon, who explained that it had been taken as an emergency civic protection.Garzon, the minister tasked with leading Spain’s gambling’s overhaul, has previously stated that ‘football has been flooded by betting partnerships’Garzon maintained that the Royal Decree represents the ‘first phase’ of gambling’s overhaul, in which the new government will implement further restrictions and tighter monitoring of the industry within the coming months. ESI Digital – No Drama Please… Esports growth should be treated as business as usual  August 20, 2020 Betway and Dafabet grow La Liga sponsorship portfolios August 14, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Related Articles Share Submit Winamax maintains Granada CF sponsorship despite bleak Spanish outlook August 19, 2020last_img read more