The Woodsman’s James Ortiz on Magical Powers, Puppets & Nerding Out

first_imgJames Ortiz (Photo by Caitlin McNaney) Related Shows View Comments Age: 31Hometown: Ortiz was born in Albany, New York and grew up in Richardson, Texas.Current Role: The suffering but stoic title character of the new off-Broadway show The Woodsman, which he also created, designed and directed. Stage Cred: Ortiz is the co-artistic director of Strangemen & Co. His design/directorial credits (puppet or otherwise) include The Tempest, SeaWife, Mercury Fur, King Lear, Ludic Proxy, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Miss Lilly Gets Boned, My Base and Scurvy Heart and An Intimate Evening with Typhoid Mary.center_img The Woodsman Show Closed This production ended its run on May 29, 2016last_img

Mary Eileen Smith

first_imgMary Eileen Smith, 85 of Dillsboro passed away Sunday, April 7, 2019 at U.C. Medical Health in Cincinnati, Ohio.  Eileen was born Saturday, December 16, 1933 in Milan the daughter of Harry and LaVerna (Freyer) Neukam.  Eileen was a homemaker and former member of Grace Church of the Valley.  She enjoyed church, volunteering at the food pantry, loved her family and spending time with people.Eileen is survived by her daughter Pat (Tim) Richardson of Dillsboro.  She was preceded in death by her husbands: Carl Smith and Theodore Vernon Sharp; and her parents.A graveside service will be held at Oakdale Cemetery in Dillsboro at 3 PM Wednesday, April 10, 2019 with Dr. Roger Webb officiating.  Celebration of life service will be held 3 PM Saturday, April 13 at the Grace Church of the Valley, 1709 Nowlin Ave., Lawrenceburg, IN 47025, with Dr. Roger Webb officiating.  Memorials may be given in honor of Eileen to the Grace Church of the Valley.  Filter-DeVries-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, Box 146, Dillsboro, IN 47019, (812)432-5480.  You may go to to leave an online condolence message for the family.last_img read more

Robson to join Sherwood at Villa

first_imgMark Robson is set to join Tim Sherwood’s new-look backroom team at Aston Villa after Scott Marshall left the club. Sherwood was appointed on Saturday and chairman Randy Lerner watched his first training session on Tuesday. Nothing has been confirmed with Robson yet but Sherwood is acting fast to replace Marshall, who took caretaker charge after Lambert’s dismissal last week. Robson left Norwich in November and had previously been joint head coach at Barnet with Edgar Davids. America-based Lerner is not staying for Sherwood’s first Barclays Premier League game at home to Stoke on Saturday but met the new manager at the club’s Bodymoor Heath training ground after jetting in. Lerner’s chief executive Tom Fox is in charge of the day-to-day running of Villa and the owner is in constant contact despite being away from the club. Sherwood confirmed at his unveiling on Monday he had spoken to the chairman by phone but had not met him before penning his deal until 2018. Sherwood watched Sunday’s 2-1 FA Cup win over Leicester and gave a half-time team talk when the score was 0-0. He takes charge with Villa third from bottom in the Barclays Premier League after Lambert was dismissed last Wednesday. Marshall took caretaker charge, assisted by goalkeeping coach Andy Marshall and under-21 boss Gordon Cowans, and picked the team for Sunday’s fifth-round win but has now departed. Fox told the club’s official site: “I’d like to thank Scott for his efforts during his time at the football club and especially under difficult circumstances at the weekend when he took the team for Sunday’s FA Cup victory over Leicester City. “We wish him all the best in the future.” Press Association Former Norwich coach Robson is expected to become Sherwood’s first-team coach at Villa Park, Press Association Sport understands. Marshall left on Tuesday, following Paul Lambert out of the club after the Scot’s sacking last week. last_img read more

Petr Cech happy to spread the praise for Arsenal win

first_imgGoalkeeper Petr Cech believes Arsenal’s collective team effort rather than his crucial saves was key to beating Bayern Munich – but knows more hard work lies ahead if the Gunners are to reach the knockout stages of the Champions League. Arsene Wenger’s men battled to a hard-earned 2-0 victory over the runaway Bundesliga leaders at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night, kickstarting their European campaign following successive defeats. The final result, however, could have been very different but for the intervention of Cech, the veteran former Chelsea stopper making his first Champions League appearance for the Gunners this season, replacing the injured David Ospina, who was at fault for one of the goals in the 3-2 home defeat by Olympiacos last month. Ozil’s late effort was clawed out from behind the line by Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer – who made a remarkable first-half save from Theo Walcott’s point-blank header – before the goal was awarded by the additional referee. The German World Cup winner is confident Arsenal can continue their momentum when they resume Barclays Premier League action at home to Everton on Saturday. “We have to believe in ourselves, keep working hard and then we will be on a good path,” Ozil said on Arsenal Player. “I am really satisfied with my performances. I am on a good way, I feel at ease and you can see that the team and the manager give me their trust.” Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey is set for a spell on the sidelines after the Wales international was forced off during the second half with a hamstring injury. Wenger confirmed: ” He is all right, but very down because he told me that his hamstring is quite a tough one. He is out (for Saturday).” Cech, though, preferred to focus on the efforts of all the players and not just his key contribution in producing a fine early reaction save to deny Thiago Alcantara and then deflecting over a close-range shot form Robert Lewandowski shortly before substitute Olivier Giroud headed Arsenal in front after 77 minutes. Mesut Ozil netted a second in stoppage time. “Everybody was doing their bit and I was trying to do my bit,” said the 33-year-old, who won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2012/13. “I am pleased with my performance because whenever they managed to get through our defensive block I was there to help my team-mates, but I am pleased with the team’s performance as I thought we had been up for the game. “Obviously if Thiago had scored early in the game then they would have had control of the game, so it was a very important save at the start. T hen I am obviously glad I made the save against Lewandowski as in that moment we could have been 1-0 down, instead in a few minutes we were 1-0 up and that basically decided the game.” Arsenal remain bottom of Group F on head-to-head record, but are now level on points with Dinamo Zagreb, who have a minus five goal difference. The English side travel to Germany next month and will need other results to go their way to stay on course for the knockout stages, with Olympiacos having won 1-0 away to Dinamo to move on to six points, the same as Bayern. Cech said: “Obviously we are back in the game (for qualification), but our position has not changed much as Olympiacos won their game and obviously that have the home advantage in the next leg (against Dinamo) so we still need more points. “We go to Munich knowing we can compete with them and we are positive that we are going in another game where we can get points and obviously it will depend on how the game will go, but it has been a great night here and so let’s see what will happen in the future.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Last time they played: Syracuse came back in thrilling fashion against Wake Forest

first_img Published on November 1, 2013 at 12:42 am Facebook Twitter Google+ Commentscenter_img Ryan Nassib completed 13-of-15 passes after halftime, Antwon Bailey broke out and Van Chew made two monumental catches. A Syracuse offense that managed just seven first-half points exploded to erase a 15-point, fourth-quarter deficit to earn a season-opening victory.“We were looking for that explosiveness from them right off the get-go, but hey, better late than never,” Syracuse defensive end Mikhail Marinovich told The Daily Orange after the game.The Orange (1-0, 0-0 Big East) offense rebounded to pull off the program’s largest comeback since 2003, shocking the Demon Deacons (0-1, 0-0 Atlantic Coast) 36-29 in overtime in front of 40,833. After Syracuse scored the final 15 points of regulation in a 3:55 span, Nassib connected with Chew for a 4-yard score in the first possession of overtime to complete the rally.“That’s one of the best wins since I’ve been in Syracuse,” Bailey said at the time. “To do it in the fashion we did it, to come from so many points down and then to do it in the Dome, it doesn’t get any better than that.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAn SU offense that managed just five total yards in the first quarter and entered halftime with more penalty yards — 56 — than total offense — 52 — made a remarkable turnaround.Jimmy Newman’s 40-yard field goal with 11:02 remaining in the fourth quarter gave Wake Forest a 29-14 lead.Then Nassib, who started the game 1-for-5, caught fire. A 21-yard hookup with Alec Lemon. Twenty-four yards to Chew moments later. By the time Nassib hit fullback Adam Harris for a 2-yard score, he was 5-for-5 on the drive. 29-21.“We got it within eight, and I felt like that was a big turning point for the team,” Harris told The Daily Orange after the game. “Everybody started getting a little excitement. The stadium felt alive again.”Then it was Bailey’s turn. The running back, who logged 11 yards on seven first-half carries, exploded down the left sideline for a 53-yard touchdown run to make it 29-27. He would finish with 114 rushing yards and two touchdowns.But the next play was made by Chew — a diving grab falling out of the back right corner of the end zone. Chew dragged his left hip along the Carrier Dome turf after hauling in Nassib’s pass.“We like teams that pressure us because now you can get the big play,” SU head coach Doug Marrone told The Daily Orange. “We were able to make some big plays. I’m disappointed we couldn’t make them earlier.”And finally, Nassib went back to Chew for the finale. Chew absorbed a hit from Wake Forest strong safety Cyhl Quarles on a first-down play before snagging a 16-yard deep comeback, which put the Orange inside the Demon Deacons’ 10.Two plays later, Nassib drifted backward, away from pressure, before lofting a pass to Chew in the front left corner of the end zone.Chew moved forward, received the pass and rolled onto the Dome turf.“I saw the ball in the air and I was like, ‘I have to get it. We have to score,’” Chew said to The Daily Orange. “So I just went after it.”Wake Forest turned the ball over on downs on its rebuttal possession. Syracuse’s comeback was complete.“It was probably the best game I ever played in my life and been in,” Chew said.—Compiled by Stephen Bailey, asst. sports editor, [email protected]last_img read more